- Written by Heather Jeffcoat, DPT
- Hits: 6336
Trusted Professional Resource Guide:
Although her book "Sex Without Pain" offers a comprehensive self-treatment program, Heather firmly believes that the best way to treat pain with intercourse is to involve a team of competent, supportive professional experts.
In addition, an initial evaluation by a physician (to rule out medical sources of pain), and a consultation with a physical therapist are highly recommended (and may be necessary) before beginning this, or any other, self-treatment or exercise program.
We strongly encourage you to obtain the services of a qualified physician and women’s health physical therapist with a record of success in treating pain during intercourse to support you on your healing journey. We also urge you to seek help from a licensed professional counselor or sex therapist if you experience emotional issues related to sexuality or intimacy at any point during this program.
Ideally, you will be able to locate these services in your neighborhood; but since that may not be the case, We are providing our own contact list of trusted professionals to you. These physicians, therapists, and counselors are available to consult with and treat patients worldwide. Some are available via telephone and Skype sessions and all of them offer consultation and treatment through in-person office visits. Each one is well versed in pelvic pain issues and has a track record of success in treating women with pain during intercourse and/or the accompanying emotional and intimacy issues that may develop as a result.
If you cannot locate a qualified professional in your area, and don’t feel supported by your current caregivers, please don’t hesitate to contact anyone on this list. You may also want to check back on our website for periodic updates to this list.
- Dr. Andrew Cook, MD (VitalHealth.com) – Los Gatos, CA
- Dr. Andrew Goldstein, MD (cvvd.org) – New York, NY, and Washington, DC
- Dr. Abbey Gaske, MD (https://www.abbeygaskemd.com) – Torrance, CA
- Dr. Tamara Grisales, MD (SanDiegoSexualMedicine.com) – Los Angeles, CA
- Dr. Kerri Parks, MD (AngelesCrestWomensCare.com) – Los Angeles, CA
- Natalie Moniaga, MD (AlessandroObGyn.com) – Los Angeles, CA
- Dr. Christopher Tarnay, MD (AlessandroObGyn.com) – Los Angeles, CA
Dr. Joshua Gonzalez, MD (https://joshuagonzalezmd.com) - Los Angeles, CA
Dr. Lisa Valle, DO (https://www.oasiswomenssexualfunctioncenter.org/dr-lisa-valle) - Santa Monica, CA
Dr. Korostoff, MD (https://www.lesliekorostoffmd.com) - Glendale, CA
Dr. Iris Kerin Orbuch, MD (https://www.lagyndr.com) - Beverly Hills, CA
Dr. Laurence Orbuch, MD (https://lagyndoc.com) - Beverly Hills, CA
- Heather Jeffcoat, DPT (FusionWellnessPT.com) – Los Angeles, CA
- Jennifer Briggs, DPT (JenniferBriggsDPT.com) – Newark, DE
- Holly Herman, DPT (HollyHerman.com) – Cambridge, MA
- Stacey Futterman, PT & Associates (5PointPT.com) – New York, NY and Irvington, NY
- Jessica McKinney, PT (Marathon PT) – Boston, Mass.
- Tracey Sher (sherpelvic.com) - Orlando, FL
- Amy Stein, PT & Associates (BeyondBasicsPhysicalTherapy.com) – New York, NY
- Erin Thibodeaux, DPT (Stretch-Atlanta.com) – Atlanta, GA
- Kathe Wallace, PT (KatheWallace.com) – Seattle, WA
- Erin Policelli (stretchkinetics.com) - Atlanta, GA
- Penner & Associates (PassionateCommitment.com) – Pasadena, CA
- Amber Murphy, LCSW (https://www.ambermurphylcsw.com/) - Beverly Hills & Encino, CA
- Center for Healthy Sex (Center for Healthy Sex) – West Los Angeles, CA
- Magen Todd, Ph.D (Meridian Clinical Group) – Studio City, CA
- Maze Women’s Health – Purchase, NY
- Expert Compounding Pharmacy (ExpertPharmacy.org) – Shipping available throughout the US
- The International Pelvic Pain Society (PelvicPain.org)
- National Vulvodynia Association (nva.org)
- Dr. Peter Pacik, MD (retired) maintains an updated resource website: (pacikvaginismus.com)
Additional Recommended Reading:
- Pacik, Peter MD. When Sex Seems Impossible.
- Wise, David, Ph.D. A Headache In The Pelvis: A New Understanding and Treatment for Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndromes, Fifth Ed. Occidental, CA: National Center For Pelvic Pain Research, 2011.
- Jeffcoat, Heather DPT. Sex Without Pain: A Self Treatment Guide to the Sex Life You Deserve
- Beating Endo: How to reclaim your life from endometriosis by: Iris Kerin Orbuch, MD and Amy Stein, DPT (https://www.lagyndr.com/news-press/)